“I love ______, it does everything in one tool!”
“I can’t do that in _______.”
Can we talk about this?
I understand the allure of having everything you need in one place. Especially if you’re a solopreneur or small team who struggles with tech.
But at some point, if you want to seriously scale your business, you need to stop outsourcing your processes to software companies.
Here’s what most people do:
- Post in FB group asking what tool people like to use for X
- Try a bunch of things and settle on something
- Start using the tool
- Find out tool doesn’t do something you need it to do
- Spend more time finding a workaround for thing you need to do.
- Can’t find a workaround so you do without.
- Post in FB group asking what tool people like to do X that can also do Y…
You see the problem right?
And the fix is so simple.
Stop buying tools and start hiring them instead.
Let’s compare this to the process of hiring a marketing assistant for your company.
- Define what marketing tasks need to get done and the process for doing them
- Write a job description outlining what you expect this person to do in your business.
- Interview some people to see if they’re a good fit.
- Ask your top candidates to complete a test task and review the results.
- Offer a short contract engagement to see if their capabilities meet your expectations and needs.
- Lastly, if they integrate well with the rest of your team, you might offer them a permanent position.
A lot of entrepreneurs I talk to are frustrated because they don’t have the resources to hire people in their business. But many of those same people could hire technology to start taking repetitive tasks off their plate.
If you bring the same level of thought, planning, and care to hiring technology to work for you as you would a human, you might find that your technology lasts longer, and your tools play better together.
Become the creator of your processes instead of a victim or hasty software choices.
The reality is that you’re never going to find one tool that does everything you need it to do, so you may as well pick the best tools for the job and integrate them as needed.
Sometimes optimizing just one tool can save you thousands of dollars per year and allow you to do essential tasks more quickly.
You can use the time you save by automating parts of your business to focus on essential revenue-generating activities that will allow you to hire people into your business as well.
When you’re ready to stop going it alone when it comes to marketing and automating your service business, schedule a call with us to see how we can help speed up your progress to your next level.